Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Respect for time

Quite often there are small things in life that make a big impact. OK, tell me, how often did you think that you should be on time at each and every occasion? Probably every time in the beginning. But while doing so, you realised that you didn't belong there. The focus of the occasion always became those who came late, may be genuinely or may be carrying their feigned stardom. You were made to look stupid or even wrong by adhering to the time. So,you jettisoned that in order to be an equal cynosure.

In the process, it became a norm. Also nothing untoward happened to that occasion, as it carried off as usual with some forced haste. But what happened to the future occasions which couldn't bear this laxity? A total mess up and a damned reputation for all and sundry involved.

That is how I felt today when the cab driver waiting to go to the embassy told me all Indians come late by at least 15-20 minutes. To get myself out of his dragnet of accusation, I asserted that I was on time. He replied instantly that I was the only one. May be he told a lie to hold his words but that doesn't matter as long as his perception remains the same. I take it as an affront for all the punctual ones, but I can't deny his observation also about the Indians.

Before we start judging his views as a myopic thinking, just ponder, aren't we the genesis of all this? At the first place, we believe in dignifying ourselves by being late and then sadly mocking othes for being the opposite. Need I say we should mend our ways. The age-old adage that time and tide wait for nothing still holds true. Time needs respect, nay demands respect. I am really disapponited, hurt and even angry by what happened today. But quite often there are small things in life that can make a big impact.

1 comment:

SmeaGollum said...

I hate the way being late is passed of as being on "Indian Standard Time". But still, the driver should not be blamed, as his accusation was based on experience and not prejudice.